Monday, April 12, 2010

Vision

IMG_9116_2
I’ve worn glasses since second grade. Yes, that calculates to around 43 years of being dependent on some kind of corrective lenses (I started wearing contact lenses when I was 12). Last Wednesday, I had surgery on my right eye to remove cataracts that had formed as a by-product of a detached retina 10 years ago. (Eyes have never been my strong suit). The procedure removed the cataract blockage and also involved removing the actual lens of my eye, replacing it with a perfect lens.

This morning, I had my first official eye exam after the surgery. As I looked at the famous eye chart, I was able to read the whole thing (before the surgery, I could not even make out the huge letter E at the top of the famous chart). After reading "O F L C 3"at the bottom of the chart, I was so excited that I said to the technician, "I need to hug someone!" She was happy to celebrate with me.

I realize how fortunate I am. The technology that is available to us in 2010 is truly amazing. I’m thankful for doctors and researchers and nurses and technicians who study and learn about this vision world. But more than that, I'm thankful to the Lord for creating the eye. Did you know that each of our eyes are connected to the brain by 300,000 nerve fibers? The human eye can receive 1.5 million messages simultaneously.

And then let's consider all that God made for us to look at . . . sunsets, rainbows, butterflies, smiling faces. As I look out on a beautiful Tennessee spring morning, I am stunned at what I am able to view, with my new eye! Blades of grass, feathers on birds, street signs, shadows, light, colors . . . wow! I had thought I was seeing okay before. Now, I'm viewing things in 3D! This Wednesday, I'll have surgery on my left eye After that, I can't imagine how great it will be to look on God's beautiful world.


O Lord, our Lord, your majestic name fills the earth!
Your glory is higher than the heavens.
You have taught children and infants
to tell of your strength,
silencing your enemies
and all who oppose you.
When I look at the night sky and see the work of your fingers—
the moon and the stars you set in place—
what are mere mortals that you should think about them,
human beings that you should care for them?
Yet you made them only a little lower than God
and crowned them with glory and honor.
You gave them charge of everything you made,
putting all things under their authority—
the flocks and the herds
and all the wild animals,
the birds in the sky, the fish in the sea,
and everything that swims the ocean currents.
O Lord, our Lord, your majestic name fills the earth!

(Psalm 8, NLV)

2 comments:

  1. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So hope the second surgery went well. My stepdaughter was born with cataracts and recieved an implant about 10 years ago. Her other eye is bad as well but now has glaucoma in that eye. Not a candidate for the second lens. She is about to bless us with our first grand-daughter so she is doing well with the one implant. God is amazing and has also blessed us with amazing doctors and researchers.

    ReplyDelete