Saturday, April 24, 2010

Family

DSC02826

I'm writing today about a member of our family that many of you will never meet. I (Mel) am the oldest of 4 children. Two years after I was born, my brother Jeff came along. Three years later, my sister, Missy, entered the world. And 7 years after Missy, my "surprise" brother Todd was born. (Todd was an unexpected blessing to our family :)

Jeffrey Shea Ware was born with several handicaps. He has cerebral palsy and is severely mentally retarded. He was a blue baby, somehow not getting enough oxygen to his brain during birth. On one side of his body, he doesn't have a full hip socket, and when he was a young boy he had to have both ankles broken in order to try and align his legs with the rest of his body. (I remember a trip one year where our family drove from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to Harlingen, Texas ~ 3 days in a Renault each way. Jeff was in a body cast in the back seat with me and my sister for that long trip. Oh what a memory!) My parents were told that Jeff wouldn't live past the age of 9 years old. In June, my brother will turn 48 years old. In many ways, he is a walking miracle.

Jeff lived in our home until he was about 6 years old, when it became clear that he would better be served and cared for by professionals. We were living in Ft. Lauderdale at the time, and I remember Sunland Center in Miami (only 45 minutes or so away) where Jeff moved in. We would bring him home most weekends to be with us, and our church loved and cared for him with his own private nursery worker!

We later moved to Texas and found another facility that adopted Jeff into their care. This place was about 3 to 4 hours away, which didn't allow us to see him as frequently. But as Jeff grew, we began to notice wonderful characteristics growing into his personality. He loves balls that bounce. Just bounce a ball on the ground or throw it in a basketball hoop and Jeff gets so excited, laughing so hard! Jeff loves root beer. Jeff loves to take off his socks and shoes, have you put them back on, and then mischievously pull them off again.

Jeffrey has only been able to say a handful of words in his lifetime. Not coincidentally, one word he continues to say is "love". When you give him a hug or he just knows you are present, he will utter the word slowly and drawn out ~ "Looovvve". This is so fitting with Jeff's heart. He has always had such a sweet temperament, such a loving spirit. When you are with Jeff, you always receive more than you give.

Several years ago, my dad and his wife moved to North Carolina and had Jeff transferred to another special place, the O'Berry Center in Goldsboro., where he lives now. I've visited the center several times and love, joy and peace permeate every room. It's a pleasure to be there among the residents and the amazing caregivers God is using to serve them.

I'm remembering Jeff today because he will be going into surgery in the morning. His leg has broken, probably just from weakness and age. Through the years, he has lost his sight and other physical capabilities. Having a little mobility is one of the few freedoms he still enjoys. We are praying for a successful surgery, for complete recovery, for peace, for comfort. The O'Berry Center is graciously providing a caregiver to stay with Jeff 24/7 to be his advocate in the hospital. What a blessing to our family!

I was reading Psalm 139 this morning and inserting Jeff's name. "Jeff's frame was not hidden from you when Jeff was made in the secret place. When Jeff was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw Jeffrey's unformed body. All the days ordained for Jeff were written in your book before one of them came to be." (Psalm 139:15-16) This broken leg is not a surprise to God. He is the Great Physician, presiding over this operation in the morning, watching over Jeffrey . . . never slumbering or sleeping (Psalm 121).

I'm privileged to say that Jeff is my brother, my family, my blood. He has taught me much about unconditional love, about being content, about strength in the midst of weakness. It's amazing to me to think that one day, in heaven, I will meet Jeff ~ whole in body and mind. Wow, what a thought that is! But now, since Jeff may not understand praying for himself, will you join us and offer up a prayer on his behalf?

"Carry each others burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ." (Gal. 6:2)


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing about your brother. He is in our prayers! -The Poricks

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful post! Thank you for allowing us to meet Jeffrey. I will pray for his recovery from surgery.

    ReplyDelete